Q. How can I find out how my property is zoned?
A. You should consult a zoning map.  To do this, you may access it through the County Assessor’s files (available on the computer at or through the City-County Library system) or through a visit to the INCOG/TMAPC offices.  The zoning map will give you the specific zoning designation, and the Zoning Code (also available at chapter will explain what uses are allowed and what specific requirements are for the zoning designation. Click here to find your zoning.

Q. What if I want to develop my property?
A. You should first determine how your property is zoned, and then determine whether your proposed use is allowed under that category.  If it is allowed by right, you must apply for a Building Permit at the One-Stop Permit Center, City Hall, One Technology Center, 175 E. 2nd Street, (918) 596-9456 (visitor parking map).  If your proposed use is not allowed by right, but may be allowed by Special Exception (as defined in the Zoning Code, see above), you must apply for that at the INCOG/TMAPC offices, Two West 2nd Street, Suite 800.  If the proposed use is neither allowed by right nor allowed by Special Exception, you may consult with a Zoning Officer at the INCOG/TMAPC offices (918) 584-7526 regarding how the Comprehensive Plan designates your property and the possibility of applying for rezoning.  Your chances of obtaining the rezoning you desire are generally much greater if the proposed use is in accord with the Plan designation, or if the property is within a Special District, wherein all uses “may be found” to be in accord with the Plan.  INCOG/TMAPC staff will assist you, should you wish, in preparing and submitting your application.

Q. How long can I expect a rezoning action to take?
A. For straight zoning (i.e., involving no overlay zoning; see below), you can expect the process to take approximately 60-90 days.  This includes the State-mandated noticing time, advertising, preparation of and mailing of official notice to all property owners within 300’ of your property and setting the public hearing.  If you wish to develop your property in a Planned Unit Development, that requires more time (90-120 days and possibly more, depending upon the complexity of the PUD).

Q. How much does it cost to rezone my property or to apply for a Special Exception?
A. The fee schedules are posted on the INCOG/TMAPC computer website  Costs include staff time to review, notification and publication costs and public hearing fees.  Costs vary with actions requested, number of adjacent property owners to notify and size/type of project.  Once property has been rezoned, and with the approval of certain Special Exceptions, the property is required to be platted/re-platted.  These fees are also included on the fee schedule.

Q. When may I apply for rezoning or Board of Adjustment action?
A. You may apply at any time.  However, both the TMAPC and the Boards of Adjustment have specified cut-off dates for each meeting at which public hearings are held.  These dates are on the INCOG/TMAPC website

Q. What is the Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission?
A. It is the planning body created through State statutes (Title 19, Section 863, O.S.S.) whose jurisdiction includes the City of Tulsa and all unincorporated portions of Tulsa County.  It is a voluntary eleven-member board, six of whose members are appointed by the City of Tulsa Mayor and confirmed by the City Council, three appointed by the Board of County Commissioners of Tulsa County, the Chair of the Tulsa County Board of Commissioners and the Mayor of Tulsa’s designee.  All serve three-year terms without pay.  The TMAPC meets at 1:30 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays in the Tulsa City Council Chambers, One Technology Center, 175 E. 2nd Street, 2nd Level (Visitor Parking Map)

Q. What are the Boards of Adjustment?
A. The Boards of Adjustment serve the City of Tulsa and Tulsa County.  Each is a five-member body serving three-year terms.  City Board of Adjustment members are appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council, while County Board of Adjustment members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners.  The City Board of Adjustment meets in the Tulsa City Council Chamber, One Technology Center, 175 E. 2nd Street, 2nd Level, 1:00 p.m. on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month (Visitor Parking Map).  The County Board of Adjustment meets at 1:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of the month in Room 119, County Administration Building, 500 S. Denver.

Q. What if my neighbor is proposing to use his/her property in a way that I object to?
A. If your property is within 300’ of your neighbor’s, you will receive notice of the proposed rezoning through the mail.  That notice will indicate the date and time of the public hearing for the rezoning.  You may attend the hearing and voice your objections or ask questions.  Alternatively, you may send an email (, letter (Two West 2nd Street, Suite 800, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103) or fax (918) 583-1024) detailing your objections to the proposal.  Such documentation becomes part of the official record and is transmitted, in the case of zoning or PUD requests, along with the minutes of the public hearing, project description and staff recommendation to either the City Council or Board of County Commissioners for final hearing.

Q. Why don’t Board of Adjustment cases go to the City Council or Board of County Commissioners?
A. The Boards of Adjustment are quasi-judicial bodies, unlike the TMAPC.  Therefore, unless appealed, actions of the Boards of Adjustment are final.  Appeals of Board decisions must be made through District Court.  Procedures and requirements for filing appeals are described in the City and County Zoning Codes and are on the INCOG/BOA website

Q. What do the large yellow signs that are sometimes posted on properties mean?
A. Those signs are part of the notification process for all rezoning public hearings and some Board of Adjustment public hearings.  The signs indicate date, time and place of public hearing, action requested and contact information.

Q. What is the difference between a variance and a Special Exception?
A. Both are actions people may request through the Boards of Adjustment.  A variance is typically relief from a setback requirement, height limitation or spacing, and requires that a hardship be shown.  A hardship is a condition that is unique to the particular property such that meeting the zoning requirements is not feasible.  A hardship cannot be economic or self-imposed.  Special Exceptions are specific uses that may be appropriate under particular circumstances on a piece of property.  The Boards review requests for these on a case-by-case basis.  Both City and County Zoning Codes list allowable Special Exception uses and may be accessed through the Board of Adjustment website

Q. If my neighbor is not using his/her property according to its zoning designation, what can I do?
A. The first and usually easiest thing to do is to approach your neighbor with your concerns after you have confirmed that the use is in fact not according to the regulations.  He/she may not realize they are doing anything wrong.  If that doesn’t get results, you should call 311 or report online Neighborhood Inspections and describe the situation. The main number for the City of Tulsa is (918) 596-2100 for routing to the appropriate City personnel. Officials at either of these locations will determine the appropriate action to take.

Q. How do I obtain a Zoning Verification Letter for property inside the City of Tulsa or unincorporated Tulsa County?
A. You can email requests to, or mail a request to INCOG, c/o Zoning Verification Letter, 2 West Second Street, Suite 800, Tulsa, OK 74103. In your request please include the Tulsa County parcel number, and the legal description of the property. The cost is $75 for properties outside of a PUD or Corridor District and $150 for properties within a PUD or Corridor District. We accept cash, checks made payable to INCOG, and Visa or Mastercard with a 5% fee. Be aware that our Zoning Verification Letter will only serve to confirm the Zoning of a property, provide information regarding Board of Adjustment action on the property and information about the PUD or Corridor District. Determining compliance to zoning or building code requirements is not a function of this office. For properties within the City of Tulsa the Building Permits Division (918-596-9456) will address compliance upon application for a building permit or occupancy permit. For more information contact 918-579-9474, or email with Zoning Verification letter in the subject line.